Number of Programs: 5
202 International Center, MSU, East Lansing, MI, 48824.
MSU's Center for Advanced Study of International Development (CASID) promotes and coordinates the work of faculty and students interested in developing countries from the perspectives of the social sciences and liberal arts. CASID has a strong commitment to its outreach mission serving K-12 teachers and students, post-secondary institutions, government, and business. Outreach resources include: Publications; K-12 Outreach (LATTICE); Midwest Institute for International/Intercultural Education; International Business Institute for Community College Faculty, and International Business Center (CIBER).
Tuesday, May 8, 2018. 8:00 am - 5:30 pm.
Molecular Plant Sciences, Room 1200,1066 Bogue Street, East Lansing, MI, 48824
Speakers at the 2018 mini-symposium include:
- Susan Lamont, PhD, Iowa State University, Title: Poultry Genomics to Improve Global Food Security
- Jonathan Lynch, PhD, Penn State University, Title: Roots of the Second Green Revolution
- Vincent Lombard, PhD, Monsanto Company, Title: Food Security Through Yield Security: Monsanto Plant Breeding Example
- Dina Proestou, PhD, USDA ARS, Title: Breeding a Better Oyster: Experimental, Genetic, and Genomic Approaches to Understanding Disease Resistance in the Eastern Oyster, Crassostrea Virginica
- Deborah Velez-Irizarry, PhD Candidate, Title: Expression QTL and Allele Specific Expression of Muscle Gene Transcripts Exhibiting Joint Association with Polygenic Trait Phenotypes in a Pig Resource Population
- Eric Olson, PhD, Michigan State University, Title: A Role for the D Genome to Increase and Protect Grain Yield in Wheat
August 5 - 17, 2018
MSU Campus in East Lansing, MI 48824
Education and awareness on various aspects of agricultural biotechnology including environmental biosafety and food safety issues will help assist government agencies various stakeholders make informed decisions on genetically engineered crops and products. This program is designed to help participants better understand various issues surrounding the use and management of agricultural biotechnology globally. The focus of this training program is on biotechnology research, policies and regulations, management, and public outreach components as well as biotechnology related trade issues.
July 22 - 28, 2018
Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, 48824
This week-long International Short Course in Food Safety. The course focuses on food safety policy development, risk analysis, and program implementation. The course provides hands-on training and experience in various aspects of food safety in both public and private sector settings. Components of the course include:
- Food systems, food safety, and international food trade
- Regulatory and policy issues in food safety
- Microbial and chemical hazards
- Food safety issues with biotechnology products
- Risk assessment, management, and communication
- Food preservation including irradiation
- Antibiotic resistance
- Hazard detection system
- Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP) principles and practice
- Information and training resources in food safety
- Field visits to food and meat processing sites in Michigan
Please see the website listed below for current dates.
Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, 48824.
WorldTAP draws upon expertise from Michigan State University and around the world to offer short-term and long-term training programs, advisory services and consultations in diverse areas of agricultural research and development. WorldTAP helps build human resources, provides access to information resources, and facilitates technology transfer to enhance agricultural productivity and food security.
WorldTAP offers expertise, training and capacity building programs in the following areas: agricultural biotechnology, intellectual property rights and technology transfer, environmental biosafety, food safety, food processing, packaging and value addition, animal agriculture, science and technology communication, water management and agroecology, integrated pest management and sustainable agriculture.