Arts & Letters
Number of Programs: 3
Tuesday, April 18, 2017. 9:00 am - 1:00 pm.
Lansing Center, 333 E. Michigan Avenue, Lansing, Michigan 48833
The MIPA Spring Conference is focused on awards. Most students will meet for the exciting awards presentation in the morning, while others will take part in the On-Site Contests. The morning awards include Individual Category Contests for yearbook, newspaper, new media and video production; Golden Pen; All-MIPA; and Student Journalist. Awards will end in the afternoon with the Spartan Awards presentation.
Advisers, meet up with your adviser friends during the adviser luncheon and network with others throughout the day. The annual MIPA business meeting will take place at the luncheon. Students have lunch on their own.
- Thursday, September 28, 2017: Robert Hazen
- Tuesday, October 24, 2017: Ted Chiang
- Thursday, October 26, 2017: Neil Shubin
Room 115, International Center, 427 North Shaw Lane, East Lansing, MI 48824
MSU's Office of the Vice Provost for Research and Graduate Studies presents a speaker series each semester. The Fall 2017 series includes:
- Robert Hazen, Director, Deep Carbon Observatory; Senior Research Scientist, Carnegie Institution of Washington’s Geophysical Laboratory; and Clarence Robinson Professor of Earth Science at George Mason University: "The Deep Carbon Observatory"
- Ted Chiang, award winning author of "Story of Your Life," which was adapted into the 2016 movie, "Arrival."
- Neil Shubin, Senior Advisor to the President and Robert R. Bensley Distinguished Service Professor, Department of Organismal Biology and Anatomy, The University of Chicago; Professor, Committee on Evolutionary Biology, Committee on Stem Cell, Regenerative and Developmental Biology, The University of Chicago; and Research Associate, Department of Geology, The Field Museum of Natural History: "Your Inner Fish and the Universe Within"
Dates:April 5, 12, 19, and 26, 2017. Afternoon conversations at 3:00 pm. Readings at 7:00 pm. There is no afternoon conversation on April 26.
The RCAH Theatre and the LookOut! Gallery on MSU's campus in East Lansing, MI
MSU's Residential College in the Arts and Humanities' Center hosts the Spring Poetry Festival each Wednesday in April, which includes an afternoon talk and and evening reading. Speakers for 2017 are:
- Tina Chang (April 5)
- Toi Derricotte (April 12)
- Cindy Hunter Morgan (April 19)
- Mark Doty (April 26)